How to get a Japan Visa: Requirements and Tips for Philippine Passport Holders – Out of Town Travel News

You are here:
Table of Contents
As a seasoned traveler, I always find Japan very amusing because of its culture, amazing landscape, and unique cuisine – some of you might agree that it’s also one of the best countries to visit in the world.
However, before visiting the land of the rising sun, make sure to have your passport and JAPAN VISA ready.
Now, if you’re planning to have a solo, couple, barkada, or family trip to Japan, we’ve provided relevant and informative tips to avoid stress, save time, and ensure your visa approval!
You may submit the required Visa application documents for several purposes of the visit. Depending on your purpose of visit, the Japanese Embassy will examine your documents based on each purpose, and a visa will be issued accordingly.
The second step to obtain a Japanese tourist Visa is to have the documents about your personal identity, nationality, and other data. These include a Philippine passport from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), a complete filled-in visa application form which you can download from travel websites, a 4.5cm x 4.5 cm ID picture, a birth certificate and/or marriage certificate in case, you are married, both from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), a planned daily schedule or itinerary as a tourist, a list if you will be traveling as a group. Here are the additional details about the basic requirements for a Japanese Visa Application:
Important Notes:
Advance Flight and Hotel booking are not required, just provide your preferred hotel in Japan and indicate the flight number which you can easily find by doing a flight search online. If you are looking for possible hotels to stay in Japan, visit Agoda for a wide selection of accommodation options.
Here are some of the additional photo requirements; you can also view them here:
If you’re married, you must submit an original NSO / PSA Marriage Certificate issued within a year from your Japanese Visa processing date. If you’ve already got a previous Japan visa during the course of your marriage, you can skip this requirement. Please provide a copy of your passport with the previous Japan Visa sticker.
The Japanese Embassy requires its Visa Applicants to have a copy of the traveler’s itinerary in Japan. You can easily make one by downloading the form at this link. If you hire a travel agent to make your Visa application, you can ask them to do this for you.
We have several travel guides and things-to-do lists in various Japan key destinations; you can also plan your itinerary by visiting these links: Things to do in Kanazawa / Exploring the historic villages of Shirakawa-go / Activities in Tokyo/ Best Places to visit in Japan / Osaka Travel Guide / Things to do in Kyoto.
One more thing is that you need to declare whether you will shoulder your own expenses or whether there will be a guarantor for your financial support.
If you support your own, the requirements include the following:
On the other hand, if there will be a sponsorship, requirements include the following:
The complete list of the Japan Visa Application requirements guide is also listed here.
Effective 30th July 2007, Japan visa applications must be coursed through travel agencies accredited by the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines.
Direct applicants for their consular offices in Cebu and Davao are still accepted with valid reasons listed on the Embassy of Japan website. The official list of these accredited travel agencies is also enumerated on their website.
The complete guide for Visa Applications through Philippine Accredited Travel Agencies is listed here.
I. Applicant who travelled Japan as temporary visitor in the last 3 years and has financial capacity
II.Applicant who travelled Japan (as temporary visitor) and G7 countries (several times, except Japan)
Applicant with sufficient financial capacity
III” (Applicant with sufficient financial capacity)
If the certificate is unreadable, submit the certificate issued by Local Civil Registrar. – If the birth certificate is “LATE REGISTRATION”, submit Baptismal Certificate and School Record (DepEd: Form 137). – If there is no record in PSA, submit the certificate issued by Local Civil Registrar and Negative Certificate issued by PSA.
Mobile Nos.:
Fax No.:
After checking and assessing all the required personal documents, the next step will be to submit everything to your chosen travel agency. The earlier time before your planned vacation date is always better for the long queue and congestion may happen, particularly during the holiday season.
Travel agency fees may arise from Php 800 and above, which vary. The visa application is free, but since the agency’s business is to process and move your papers for your own convenience, there shall be for their existence.
Usually, the processing of the Japanese visa may take about 3-5 working days or even up to a week. For others, the time may extend even to weeks. The differences include the peak season of applications, some incomplete documents, and errors in their papers.
Be confident and focused on the travel preparations, or start creating your complete Japan trip itinerary. Your Passport with an approved Japanese visa can be received through the mail, or you may get it at your travel agency’s office, depending on your agreement or package inclusion.
Q1: In what cases can I apply for a multiple-entry visa?
A1:  For visas for short-term stay, there are multiple-entry visas for tourists (maximum visa validity: 5 years) and multiple-entry visas for cultural or intellectual figures (maximum visa validity: 10 years). The latter can be used as a tourist or for visiting relatives/acquaintances from the second visit. There are also multiple-entry visas for spouses of Japanese nationals. Please refer to the relevant items in the “Types of Visa” section, such as items 16 and 17.
Q2: How can I apply for valid multiple visas?
A2: When applying for a multiple-entry visa, you must submit a form “Reason for requesting multiple entry visa”.  Depending on the purpose of the trip, applicants must submit additional documents to show that they are qualified for a multiple-entry visa. Please refer to the relevant items in the “Types of Visa” section, such as Items 16 and 17.    Please note that submitting a form “Reason for requesting multiple entry visa” does not guarantee the issuance of multiple visas. In the case where a multiple-entry visa is not issued, if required documents for the application of a single-entry (or double-entry) visa are submitted, the examination for the visa will also be made accordingly.
Q3: I obtained a multiple-entry visa (30 days stay) valid for 5 years and traveled to Japan for tourism/pleasure purposes. Is it possible to use this visa when traveling to Japan next time for commercial purposes?
A3: If you wish to stay within 30 days and your activities are within the scope of “Temporary Visitor” (Sightseeing, recreation, sports, visiting relatives, inspection tours, participating in lectures or meetings, business contact or other similar activities during a short stay in Japan), you can use this visa to travel to Japan. However, when you arrive in Japan, you must submit an immigration card stating your purpose and be examined by an immigration officer.
Please note that there are certain activities which are not permitted as a “Temporary Visitor”, such as remunerated activities. If you wish to go to Japan to engage in such activities as paid/remunerated activities, please get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Immigration Services Agency of Japan before applying for a proper visa.
Q4: If I apply for a “Temporary Visitor” visa for the first time, can I only apply for a maximum stay of 15 days?
A4: The periods of stay for a short term visa is either 15 days, 30 days or 90 days. The examination will be made according to your purpose and schedule.
Q5: If I have two or more purposes for the travel to Japan such as “tourism” and “commercial”, how should I apply?
A5: Please prepare the documents required for the primary purpose of the trip. However, if you prepare and submit the required documents for each purpose, the examination will be made for each purpose for the travel. The appropriate visa will be issued if the criteria for the issuance of visa is met for one of the purposes.
Q6: Is it possible to get a visa even if I have been deported from Japan before?
A6: The examination of visa applications is based on individual circumstances, and past deportation does not automatically mean your visa application will be denied. If you have violated laws and regulations in the past or have been deported, your application will be examined based on such facts. The application form has a space for the history of deportation and violations in the past, so please properly fill out the form in detail.
Q7:  Is it necessary to submit original documents? What can I do if I cannot prepare the original documents?
A7: For documents that are possible to obtain repeatedly, it is necessary to submit the original. However, for pictures and old documents which you wish to keep the original, you may submit a copy and attach a letter explaining why you cannot submit the original.  If you cannot prepare any required documents, please submit a letter explaining why you cannot do so.
Q8:  I have an application for a Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. Can I apply for a short-term visa while waiting for the result of my Certificate of Eligibility?
A8: No. You have to apply for your visa after obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility.
Q9: Why does the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines accept visa applications through accredited travel Agencies instead of directly accepting them?
A1: Before the system of filing through agencies was implemented, visa applicants had to queue and wait for a long time at the Embassy. Also, there were cases where applicants were made victims of buying and selling fraudulent documents by fraudsters in front of the embassy. Because of these situations, in July 2007, the Embassy of Japan started the system of visa application through accredited travel agencies.
However, there are cases where visa applications may be filed directly at the Embassy of Japan.
For details, please refer to 1. (2)  [General Information for visa application].
English : (+63-2) 8271-2259
Embassy of Japan in the Philippines
English/Filipino: 02-8834-7514
Japanese: 02-8834-7508
Email: [email protected]
Consulate-General of Japan in Cebu
Tel: 032-231-7321/7322
E-mail: [email protected]
Consulate-General of Japan in Davao
Tel: 082-221-3100/3200
Email: [email protected]
Also Read:
Want more stuff like this?
Get fresh travel stories straight into your inbox!

Don’t worry, we don’t send spam! We eat them 🙂
See more
0 Votes

169 Views1 Vote

169 Views1 Vote

278 Views0 Votes

1 Vote

0 Votes

0 Votes

Get the best travel stories straight into your inbox!

Don’t worry, we don’t send spam! We eat them 🙂
Some of the pages on this travel blog contain affiliate links. Whenever you buy something or book travel-related services through one of these affiliate links, We get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Rest assured, we only recommend products and services that we feel are helpful and beneficial to our readers. Thanks for your continuous support.

The Palace Suite at @resortsworldcruises. #shorts
@Team Out of Town
© 2024 by Team Out of Town

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

To use social login you have to agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website. Privacy Policy

Public collection title
Private collection title
Here you’ll find all collections you’ve created before.


Leave a Reply