Passport Application & Passport Renewal – USPS

Track a Package
Informed Delivery
Find USPS Locations
Buy Stamps
Schedule a Pickup
Calculate a Price
Look Up a
ZIP Code
Hold Mail
Change My Address
Rent/Renew a
PO Box
Free Boxes
Top Searches
Top Searches
Thousands of Post Offices accept first-time passport applications for the U.S. Department of State. Most of those locations can also take your passport photo.
Schedule an Appointment
Alert: Please use our online scheduler, a Post Office lobby self-service kiosk, or visit a Post Office retail counter to make an appointment for first-time passport and photo services. Alternatively, find a location near you with passport walk-in acceptance hours.
First-time applicants and people who aren’t allowed to get a new passport by mail.
Apply at a Post Office
Expedited Delivery
Most people renewing a passport should mail their application directly to the State Department.
Renew by Mail
Expedited Delivery
Passports for children under 16 have special requirements. Make sure you are prepared.
Learn More
If you’ve never had a U.S. passport, are 16 or under, or aren’t allowed to renew an existing passport by mail, you need to apply for a new passport in person at the Post Office.
Generally, you should apply for your new passport as soon as you know you’ll be traveling internationally—at least several months in advance. Passport processing times may vary, so be sure to check the latest State Department service estimates. First-time applicants, minors, and applicants who need a new passport but may not renew by mail may submit their passport application at the Post Office. The U.S. State Department website explains what you’ll need to bring with you.
Apply for a Passport in Person
Visit the U.S. Department of State website to learn how to apply for a passport and what documents you need.
Get Started on Your Application
Post Offices that offer passport services have set hours, and you’ll need to schedule an appointment using the online Retail Customer Appointment Scheduler or a Post Office lobby self-service kiosk.
Scheduling Online
If you need to modify or cancel your appointment, click the Manage Appointments tab and enter your confirmation number and email address or phone number.
Using a Self-Service Kiosk
First-time passport applications have two types of basic fees, the application acceptance fee and the application processing fee. Passport photos and fees for faster processing are extra. Learn how to calculate fees and what you can use to pay for them.
Pay acceptance fees in person at the Post Office. You may pay by check or money order, payable to “Postmaster,” debit card, or credit card.
State Department payment is sent with your application package. State Department fees are paid separately from USPS fees.
Use the Online Passport Status System to check your application status if you applied by mail or in person. You may not be able to get a status update for 2 weeks after you apply or renew. During these weeks, your application and supporting documents are on their way to the Department of State. See more information about current processing times on the Department of State page “U.S. Passports.”
If you are eligible to renew your passport, please complete Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 (see completion instructions on the form), and mail your completed renewal application directly to the State Department for processing. To verify if your passport is eligible for renewal by mail, please visit State Department Renew By Mail.
A minor’s passport may not be renewed by mail; to renew a minor’s passport, you need to submit a new, first-time passport application in person. An adult passport may be renewed by mail if it meets certain requirements.
You can renew your adult passport by mail if you answer “Yes” to all 5 of the following statements:
Your passport:
If your passport does not meet all these requirements, do not mail your renewal application. You must prepare the same application package as a first-time passport applicant.
State Department Renew by Mail
Apply early for renewals as many countries require that passports be valid for at least 6 months after you enter their country. Learn how to properly prepare your application package and include all the necessary documents so your passport is processed on time.
How to Renew a Passport – Details
Department of State recommends using a USPS delivery tracking service to mail your renewal application.
Choose one of the following services:
Compare Delivery Tracking Services
If you use a USPS delivery tracking service, go to USPS Tracking® to see when your package is delivered.
USPS Tracking Status
U.S. Passport Application Status
If you need your passport faster for emergency travel or another special case, you can send your passport application via Priority Mail Express® service and pay the State Department fee for faster delivery.
If you need to travel within 72 hours (3 business days) for an immediate family member who is dead, dying, or has a life-threatening illness or injury:
If you are traveling in less than 10 weeks, you must call the State Department Passport Agency to schedule an appointment:
Note: An extremely limited number of appointments are available for customers who are traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (3 business days), and other restrictions apply.
Get My Passport Fast
If you pay an additional $60 for expedited service and mail it with Priority Mail Express, you can get your renewed passport within 10 weeks.
Get My Passport Fast
Passport applications for children under 16 have special requirements.

  • Both parents/guardians must authorize the issuance of a child’s passport. The best way to give consent is for both parents/guardians to go with the child when applying.
  • Children need evidence of citizenship.
  • Parents/guardians need proof of parental relationship.
  • NOTE: Children’s passports are only valid for 5 years. They are not “renewable”: When a child’s passport expires, you must apply for a new passport for them. When making a passport appointment for a child, please choose “New Passport Only” or “New Passport with Photo Services.”

Apply for a Minor’s Passport
If your passport has been lost or stolen, you should report it immediately to the U.S. Department of State.
Report Your Lost/Stolen Passport


Leave a Reply